Monday, September 21, 2009

Lunch with Manny

After I put the girls down for a nap, I fixed Manny some lunch and took it into the family room so he could eat at the kids' table. I sat on the other side of the table with a variety of books so I could read to him while he ate. He started saying, "What's that?" over and over again, but he didn't seem to be gesturing to the books or looking at anything specific. "What do you mean?" I asked. "What's that?" he repeated. "What's what?" I said. "What's that?" he said again. "What are you looking at?" I asked. "My penis," he said.

Which was untrue. He was looking at me. But then I looked under the table and there it was peeking out from his underwear, mashed between his fingers.

"You're right," I said. And then proceeded to laugh. How could I not? And even as I did, I had flashes of him doing this at preschool during snacktime and not getting quite the same warm response. But I guess I will leave the, "Just so you're aware..." conversation for another time. I am certain there will be multiple opportunities.

No comments: