Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rites of Passage

Yesterday I took Manny, Glory and Elena to Pacific Place to walk across the skybridge, say hello to the fish at Nordstrom, and to feign interest in children's socks so the very well-accessorized young saleswoman would give Manny a balloon (which met its untimely end on the popcorn ceiling of the parking garage to much wailing and grief). More importantly, we were there to buy Manny days of the week underpants. His first underpants. They are not to be worn yet. In fact, they are in a sad pile on the laundry room floor (good thing Manny doesn't know that. He was quite territorial about them all afternoon). But soon and very soon, we are going to try some potty training and so I wanted to make a big deal out of the underwear thing. They are covered in all different modes of transportation, which is perfect for Manny's interests right now. I was noticing how tiny Manny's behind looked on his Skuut bike today. I can't imagine how small it will look once we remove the enormous cloth diaper!

Then, last night, Manny slept in his big boy bed for the first time and he didn't wake up once. We are so proud of him and have made a big enough deal of it that I think he is quite proud of himself too. I think the crib will be gone by the weekend. Actually, swapped, since Elena's crib is currently held together by zip ties. Zip ties are the new duct tape. Don't know if you knew.

Today, Manny was in the portable crib in the kitchen playing with a huge pile of stuffed animals he congregated for his amusement. Suddenly, he said, "Mama, wanna go outer space!"

Oh, and yesterday as we were leaving Pacific Place, I put my parking ticket into the machine as directed and a woman's recorded voice said, "Thank you and drive safely." Manny shouted out from the back of the mini-van, "See you later!"

I have a sinus headache and almost didn't write at all. But I am glad I did. Because things like your first package of underwear and your first night in the bed you will sleep in through college (because that's the plan Manny!) are big rites of passage. How did Manny grow into this little wonder who is constantly asking me now, "What you doing Mama? Making cookies?" "I wish," I said. We are truly conversing. I am in awe.

2 comments:

Carmen Goetschius said...

Rites of passage, indeed! I am proud of you Manny Lai!!!! Here's to new, big-boy underpants!

The Leftoverist said...

I know--aren't the little conversations wonderful? When I put Loretta to bed at night, she says, "Mommy, I want to talk about it." This means she wants me to review all the events of her day and she will comment on them. So precious. I just bought her Sesame Street underwear and have been making a big deal out of it...six years of diapers between two of us, Mary and I figured out, so I am READY even if she's not!