Monday, June 8, 2009

Coffee Cup Saves the Day!

Manny, Glory, Elena and I took two outings today. One at our regular outing time between morning and afternoon nap and one before dinner. This morning we ended up at the playground after quick stops to buy strawberries and a latte. The small sandbox at Big Howe was packed with kids and their parents. As I sat there counting the heads of my children 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 over and over again, I couldn't get over the smell of poo. I did the general waft of my children, but it didn't smell like them. I think I was in denial because it took longer than reasonable to locate the animal poop right behind Glory and Elena. This is a gross story. There is no way around it. But I tell it because my coffee cup saved the day, so add that to the list of reasons to drink a latte on the go. You never know when you might need a large scooper to save your children and the rest of the neighborhood from a terrible animal poo accident.

Interject a cute bit of dialogue from this morning.

Manny sees Sam for the first time this morning.

Manny: Hi Sam. Have a good time?

Sam: Yes. I slept good. Did you sleep good?

Manny: I sleep good!

This afternoon we went to the library, which is a short walk from our house. I have taken the kids there periodically over the girls' lifetime- we always have library books, but often they are gathered with other people. Taking all three children to the library has always been a problematic activity. For one, I make a scene getting my double jogger BOB through the old side door. I start out thinking I'm going to sail through, but then I get stuck and push and bang and apologize under my breath until we finally break through to library land.

Once in the children's section, I put the girls on the floor with some toys, thinking they would play happily in one place. No! They were off like racecars in different directions. The goal? To pull as many books off the shelves as far apart from one another as possible. I spent the next ten minutes frantically trying to return books to their proper places while still engaging Manny so he didn't destroy the library computer which clearly says, "This is NOT a toy." Doesn't he read?

Finally, I gave up and put the girls back into the stroller. We checked out our books and Manny decided he wanted to be in the stroller so I scooped up Glory to put her in the Ergo and make space for Manny, forgetting that the stroller has a thick layer of cracker crumbs all over it, sprinkling the floor with a gust of cracker dust. The library also has a sign that says, "DON'T FEED THE ANTS." I considered ripping the pages out of the books we just checked out since I was doing such a poor job of following the rules anyway, but I figured we had done enough damage. If any of the librarians are particular about alphabetization, I'm sure the children's section gave them quite a headache after we left.

When we got home, there was more dancing to the Killers. I am a total failure at the picture thing. I have a great one of Manny at the start of his dance, but now my camera is not responding. Someday, I will develop some blogging sophistication. But not today.

No comments: